Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.
-Jean-Paul Sartre --French existentialist philosopher and writer, 1905-1980

Story From Boat and Be Damned

Hi all! Thought I would share some more of my favorite book  Boat and Be Damned
I find it to still be one of the funniest boating books I have ever read & because this book is so hard to come by, I like sharing it with you:
Enjoy!

From the Chapter Nautical Dictionary

Abaft: This word is taken from "aft", which means "behind." When one point is further aft than another, it is said to be abaft, or "behind'"  Thus, a typical usage:
"Get your big fat abaft off my sandwiches!"

Aloft: Upstairs, when you're down below.

Amidships: Anything located in the middle of the boat between "fore" & "aft" or "bow" & "stern"
A good sailor would say, "Meet me at midnight behind the big ventilator amidships, baby!"
A landlubber would say, "See ya later alligator, just behind the ventilator!"

Below: Downstairs on any boat

Bilge: The section of the boat that collects all manner of leakage through the hull, including rainwater, motor oil and overturned cans of beer

Bow: The part of the boat usually called the "front" by landlubbers. Some fancy mariners call the bow by still another name, the "fore". This makes the whole business sort of complicated, especially for golfers

I will be back later with more dictionary terms from Boat & Be Damned
Have a great day